Our History

Girlguiding started on Anglesey in 1914 when units opened in Holyhead and Menai Bridge.

In our archives, we hold documents, photographs, badges and uniforms. They bring back many happy memories of times gone by, and provide a record of our past to pass on to the next generation.

If you have any Girlguiding Anglesey memorabilia to add to the collection, or would like to share in their cataloguing and display, then please contact us.

Here are some items from our archives.

Anglesey County Standard

Guiding was introduced into Anglesey during the 1st World War by Miss Molly Davies of Menai Bridge.  Though not a Guide she helped Guiding in the early days.

The First County Standard was made in 1925 by St Dunstans and was given to the Guides by Mr Johnston of Menai Bridge.  It was very well used, and was carried for the last time in 1987 at St David’s Cathedral.  It is now on display at Anglesey Guide Centre.

The new County Standard was dedicated at Beaumaris Church in 1990.  It was made by Guiders and Menai Ranger Unit, led by Mrs Nan Rowlands, Guide Guider from Llangoed.

  • new-county-standard
  • old-county-standard


Covid-19

No face to face meetings can take place at present. They will only start again when allowed by Girlguiding in line with Government guidance, and after risk assessments of properties and units have been completed.

However, Girlguiding has stayed active in new and imaginative ways over the past year. Many leaders have been sending out activities by post or e-mail for girls to do at home, and some of our units are meeting online. ‘Adventures at Home’ are freely available for everyone on the Girlguiding UK website.

Here on Anglesey, we held a Virtual Sleepover in November 2020 and recently launched 2nd Anglesey (Virtual) Guide and Ranger Unit which meets online. Find out more on our News page.